Close X


DUIs and Travel to Canada

Those with DUI convictions are not permitted entry
into Canada. Protect your right to travel.

Inadmissible Entry into Canada

The Canadian Government has determined certain individuals are inadmissible to Canada. These individuals are not allowed to enter Canada or remain inside the Canadian borders. Members of Inadmissible Classes include those who have been convicted of certain criminal offenses, including DUI's.

Removal of Inadmissible Status

The Inadmissibility Status can be removed by applying for a Minister's Approval of Rehabilitation. This process can be initiated after five years have elapsed from the termination of probation. In Washington, the probationary period for DUI is at least two years, and can be imposed for a maximum five years. RCW 46.61.5055 Typically, Judges impose the maximum five years of probation. At the conclusion of probation, the individual must wait another five years before petitioning for a Minister's Approval of Rehabilitation.

Inadmissible Individuals Can Enter Canada

Individuals can enter Canada during the Inadmissible Status. However, you are required to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. If you are seeking entry for a single or limited period the Temporary Resident Permit application must be completed. The Canadian Government will charge a fee for a Temporary Resident Permit.

Further information regarding Inadmissible Status can be found at:

Go to Top